Homemade Pasta & Bolognese sauce
This recipe may take the long way round, but its a surefire way to have a lot of fun while making spaghetti, or any pasta for that matter!
Lets gather all our ingredients together!
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup semolina flour
3 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup water
1 pound 85% lean meat
1 yellow onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
12 oz. jar Todd's ( Papa Joes Spaghetti Sauce)
1/3 cup diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3 tablespoon parmesan cheese
The pasta has to sit for 30 min at room temp. If you have all your ingredients prepared, you can start the Bolognese sauce while you let the pasta rest. This way, you can focus on the process of boiling the pasta and having everything ready at the same time, for optimal warmth and taste!
How to make the Pastry:
0. Dust 2 baking sheets with flour and set aside
You will need: baking sheet, knife, spoon, fork, rolling pin, or pasta roller and plastic wrap.
1. Place the flour on a clean work surface and make a nest. Add the eggs, olive oil, and salt to the center and use a fork to gently break up the eggs, keeping the flour walls intact as best as you can. Use your hands and fork to gently bring the flour inward to incorporate. Continue working the dough with your hands to bring it together into a ball.
2. Knead the dough for 8 to 10 minutes. The dough will feel pretty dry, but don't worry! After 8-10 minutes of kneading, it should become cohesive and smooth. If the dough still is too dry, incorporate a tiny bit of water. If it’s too sticky, dust more flour onto your work surface. Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and let it rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
3. Slice the dough into four pieces. Gently flatten one into an oval disk with a rolling pin. Run the dough through the pasta roller three times on level 1 (the widest setting).
4. Set the dough piece onto the bench. Fold both short ends in to meet in the center.
5. Run the dough through the pasta roller three times on level 2, three times on level 3, and one time each on levels 4, 5, and 6
6. Lay half of the pasta sheet onto the floured baking sheet and sprinkle with flour before folding the other half on top. Sprinkle more flour on top of the second half. Make sure every side is floured so that your pasta wont stick together.
7. Repeat with remaining dough!
8. We used a knife here, but you can use a pasta cutter or attachment to make this easier and more uniform!
9. Then cook the pasta in a pot of salted boiling water for 5-10 minutes. ( This pasta recipe takes a little while to cook, but make sure to taste and test throughout for your preferred texture and taste!)
Next, the sauce!
How to make the Bolognese Sauce:
1. Prepare the veggies by dicing the onion and pepper and mincing the garlic cloves
2. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil, ground beef, and veggies, and 1 teaspoon of salt
3. Sauté until the meat is fully browned and the veggies are soft. (about 7-10 min)
4. Drain the grease from the meat/veggie mixture and return everything to the pan
5. Add in the spaghetti sauce, drained diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and another 1/2 teaspoon of salt, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning
6. Stir everything together, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes
7. After the 20 minutes add in the parmesan cheese. Stir until melted
8. Serve over pasta or let cool and refrigerate until ready to use.